Monday, August 4, 2014

2014 NSCC Show Recap

The 2014 NSCC Show has come to an end.  The sads have already set in, but that is normal, as it always happens to me after attending the show.

Needless to say, i had a great time. it's really difficult NOT to have a great time when attending the NSCC Show.  This was my fifth one, and of course
it did not disapoint overall.

i will say that its times like these that i miss my scanner.  So i will be adding scans at the bottom  of this blog, incase its TLDR :) (Edited to add: This site will no longer allow me to add photos, sorry about that.  please ask me on twitter if you'd like to see pics)
Also, twitter has spoiled me into wanting everything to be 140 or less.  Speaking of twitter, you really need to be on it if you arent already. 
its a great way to interact with people WORLD wide, but thats for another blog post.

This was the first year that i drove to the show.  JetBlue doesnt fly there, and i didnt feel like taking a flight that required a changeover, just not a fan.
i packed up a bunch of commons that a friend said he wanted, rather than me throwing them away.  i also brought some other stuff to move that just
do not fit into my collection, or that i had dupes of that wouldnt be missed.

The drive there was about as smooth as can be.  Left home around midnight Tuesday morning, and got to Cleveland right around 8am. Met my friend
Dustin at his hotel for breakfast, while waiting for our friend Kirk's plane to arrive.    While waiting, Dustin called our hotel to see what time we'd be able
to check in and drop off our stuff.   It was then that we learned the hotel over-booked itself and we were not going to have a room.  Dustin solved that
issue (amongst others :) and we had a room for the week.  Kirk arrived on time, and we just about picked him up on time as well :)

After picking up Kirk, we headed right to the show, rather then dropping his stuff off at the room (his choice).  Tuesday at the show is dealer set up day,
and about 50% of the dealers were setting up, maybe less.  Its a good day to walk around and see old friends and possibly scope out early deals.
First thing i noticed was that the overall space of the place seemed "small".  Now when i say small, we are talking vs past shows, as it was not small
in any sense of the word (TWSS) when it comes to card shows.

My first pickup of the show was a memorable 1! After walking the floor without much success, i was pointed in the direction of a table that was blowing out
"junk wax" boxes, so i went to take a look.  and what did i find you ask? a SEALED BOX of 1991 Pro Set Music, for a BUCK! YUP! ONE U.S. DOLLAR! :)

i had a voucher to use with PSA and wanted to find some Mantles that i am collecting in SGC/BVG form to cross over (as it would be free with the voucher)
after looking around for a bit on Wednesday, i found a dealer that had a nice selection of what i was looking for.  Picked up a '62, '63 & '66.  in SGC 3/3/3.5's
respectively.  Sadly only the '66 crossed over to a PSA 2.5, the other two did not meet the "required" 2 or greater.  Oh well, thats the way these things go. i
may try them again next year, we'll see.  That was the extent of my pickups on Wednesday, so i went ahead and submitted everything to PSA because you
want them to get them back to you at the show asap.

Thursday and Friday turned out to be frustrating on the pickups side of things, as i was not able to find anything.  i know, i know, boo hoo lol   But i was starting
to think that i would not find anything more while i was there.  i was coming to grips with it, i really was (i know you dont believe me:)

On Saturday things started out really well as Kirk worked on a dealer that had a really nice Aaron Rookie.  He got him to lower the price some, but not enough
that Kirk was interested in it, so he passed.  i let him know that i was going to get it if he was going to pass on it (On wednesday, the same dealer that i got
those Mantles from had another that i wanted, but would not accept my offer on it (packaged with the other three mind you), but about an hour later sold it to
Kirk for the same price that i offered).  i guess that the whole thing was a wash as he took that Mantle i wanted, and i was able to walk away with the Aaron.
(price difference in the two be damned! LOL)

Also on Saturday i upped the search for a Paige rookie.  ive been looking to pick up a paige rookie for about five years now.  originally i wanted the Leaf, but
over time i was looking for either the Leaf or the Bowman.  it IS strange that as far as the Registry goes, both are equal weight, even though scarcity and
price differences are huge.  Sized one up that i would want, but the dealer was pretty firm on his asking price, so i let him know i would think about it, and
was on my way.   Having the Aaron in hand, i was totally content with how Saturday ended as far as the cards went. 

Saturday early evening though, mean that Dustin & Kirk were both going to be heading home.  That's always rough for me, the saying farewell.  ive never been
good at it, and i never will be, thats the way it is.  

Saturday evening was spent with card friends old and new, at a local eating establishment, followed by a nice "round table" discussion at the local DQ.

Sunday.  Ahh Sunday.  Sunday's at the NSCC can go either really well, or the opposite.  Last year in Chicago, Sunday was pretty flat/dead right from the time
the doors opened.  Many many dealers had already packed up (or were in the process of doing so) and left, leaving the place looking fairly barren.  That sucked
because i had my flight home in the evening, and with most of my friends having left for home early that evening or the night prior, i was there for the day anyway.
But in Cleveland, the floor still looked pretty good upon opening.  i had my car, so i could leave at anytime if i chose to do so, but i decided to stick around. 
There were still plenty of people around to talk to, and i was all the more glad for it. 

i got to talking to a friend of mine about the Paige, and the pricing that the dealer was asking.  He mentioned amongst other things that i should pony up and
get it.  he made some really good points and essentially talked me into it.  i thanked him, and headed over to the dealer to pick it up.  im glad i did.  its certainly
not the best looking "PSA 1", but its far from the worst as well.  i will go on record here (as i did at the show) that that will be the last "ugly" slab that i purchase.
ive been working on the Post War HOF RC PSA Collection since 2005 and it feels really good to be at 100% for the first time.  (This set grows with every new
inductee)   After picking up the Paige, i walked around some more, but didnt find anything else (and that's ok).  Also took time out to say my goodbye's with everyone and
hoped that id see them in Chicago next year.

in closing, i really had a great time and the best part really was meeting friends, old and new a like.  There are so many to mention, that i would feel awful leaving
anyone out to mention everyone by name here.  You know who you are :)

i hope you've enjoyed my take on this years show, and if i can help convince you rto go next year, that would be fantastic! :)


  1. Thanks for the writeup! I always enjoy reading others' accounts of the National, the more detailed the better.

  2. Congratulations on picking up the Paige. One of these years I'd love to make it out to The National.